Such an interesting subject, isn’t it!!! Each of us hold so many varied beliefs as truths of life. Each of them would be true too, for each individual has a different way of looking at experiences; some gain from it, others loose. I always believed there were no universal truths, beliefs that everyone can abide by. That was until I came across the present list. Like many great observations in life, even this list does not have an author, just a torch bearer. Hence I will link the torch bearer here.
Looking at this list closely, I found there were few which didn’t apply to me. Hence I am snipping few and listing out what I think are relevant to me, or at least those that I feel are universally true. Maybe you can do the same and see if you reach closer to being a human being.
01. You can’t change other people, and it’s rude to try – That’s a tough thing to learn in life, and so is trying to change yourself, but the other I feel is little more achievable.
02. It is a hundred times more difficult to burn calories than to refrain from consuming them in the first place – Got to agree to that.
03. If you’re talking to someone you don’t know well, you may be talking to someone who knows way more about whatever you’re talking about than you do – As they say, if you shut your mouth you’re worried people might think you’re an idiot; you open it, and you confirm it!
04. The cheapest and most expensive models are usually both bad deals – Bad deals, yes!
05. Everyone likes somebody who gets to the point quickly – except when Shakespeare was talking! 😉
06. Bad moods will come and go your whole life, and trying to force them away makes them run deeper and lost longer – I always thought, and still think the other way round; if you’re in a bad mood, it’s your job to make it better.
07. Children are remarkably honest creatures until we teach them not to be – Yup!
08. Yelling always makes things worse – Yup yup!
09. Whenever you’re worried about what others will think of you, you’re really just worried about what you’ll think of you – I do worry about what others are thinking about me, but I try to see if their criticisms can bring about anything positive in me.
10. Every problem you have is your responsibility, regardless of who caused it – Hmmm… not easy, but it does have a point.
11. You never have to deal with more than one moment at a time – Easy to remember, difficult to practice.
12. If you never doubt your beliefs, then you’re wrong a lot – never gave it a thought!
13. Managing one’s wants is the most powerful skill a person can learn – you bet it is!!! Indeed the most difficult thing!
14. Nobody has it all figured out – knew that, but then we won’t have anyone to look up to!
15. Cynicism is far too easy to be useful – oh yeah!?
16. Every passing face on the street represents a story every bit as compelling and complicated as yours – Yes to that, which also brings me to one of my favorite methods of passing time during travel. But more on that maybe next time.
17. Whenever you hate something, it hates you back: people, situation and inanimate objects alike – difficult to digest, but perhaps equally true.
18. Ralph Waldo Emerson’s works alone can teach you everything you need to know about living with grace and happiness – man this guy’s writings are indeed awesome; his quotes aswesomer!
19. Anger reveals weakness of character, violence even more so – but suppressing anger also doesn’t help much.
20. Humans cannot destroy the planet, but we can destroy it’s capacity to keep us alive. And we are – It has begun.
21. Those who complain the most, accomplish the least.
22. Putting something off makes it instantly harder and scarier – so true again! Something I do often and at great expense!
23. Credit card debt devours souls – I have two and know what it means! God indeed save America!
24. Most of what we see is only what we think about what we see – Definitely true and people really do need to understand this! Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear!
25. A person who is not afraid to present a candid version of themselves to the world is as rare as diamonds – Diamonds are not that rare!
26. The most common addiction in the world is the draw of comfort. It wrecks dreams and breaks people – Yup
27. If what you’re doing feels perfectly safe, there is probably a better course of action – dunno about that!
28. The greatest innovation in the history of humankind is language – I agree!
29. Blame is the favorite pastime of those who dislike responsibility – this needs to be adopted even in our personal life!
30. Everyone you meet is better than you at something – the difference I guess is knowing what the other person is good at!
31. Proof is nothing but a collection of opinions that match your own – except mathematical proofs; yeah they can fill pages!
32. Self-examination is the only path out of misery – also another way into!?
33. If you aren’t happy single, you won’t be happy in a relationship – I have to nod here as well!
34. Even if it costs no money, nothing is free if it takes time – all of us need to absorb that into our minds!
35. Emotions exist to make us strongly biased towards or against something. This hinders as often as it helps – align it with your brain!
36. Addiction is a much greater problem in society than it’s made out to be. It’s present in every person in various forms, but usually we call it something else – like what!?
37. “Gut feeling” is not just a euphemism. Tension in the abdomen speaks volumes about how you truly feel about something, beyond all arguments and rationales – yes, we need to give a bit greater attention to our instincts!
38. Posture and dress change profoundly how you feel about yourself and how others feel about you, like it or not – unfortunately yes indeed; although the posture speaks more than the dress.
39. Everyone thinks they’re an above average driver – indeed, I’m a better driver than….
40. The urge to punish others has much more to do with venting frustration than correcting behavior – hmmm… it is!
41. By default, people think far too much – yeah, ask me!!!
42. There is nothing worse than having no friends – scary thought, scarier imagination!
43. To write a person off as worthless is an act of great violence – and violently vicious and voracious violation of volition!
44. Try as we might to be otherwise, we are all hypocrites – I have to hang my head in shame!
45. Kids will usually understand what you mean if you keep it to one or two short sentences – Bet this is difficult to prove unless tried.
46. Stuff that’s on sale usually has an annoying side.
47. Casual swearing makes people sound dumb – but it seems cool first!
48. Words are immensely powerful. One cruel remark can wound someone for life – even sword wounds heal, but wounds of memory never!
49. It’s easy to make someone’s day just by being uncommonly pleasant to them – you need to be a romantic to believe in it though!
50. Most of what children learn from their parents isn’t taught on purpose – yes man, we gotto be doubly and triply careful.
51. Problems, when they arise, are rarely as painful as the experience of fearing them – just like our belief in friends, that they will come and help us is much stronger than their real ability to help us.
52. Nothing – ever – happens exactly like you pictured it – I was always afraid of it, so nothing really new :(!
53. There are not enough women in positions of power. the world has suffered from this deficit for a long time – you can’t say they’re soft, huh! I know few who aren’t!
54. When you break a promise to yourself, you feel terrible. When you make a habit of it, you begin to hate yourself – and it becomes harder to look at yourself in the mirror.
55. You can’t hide a bad mood from people who know you well, but you can always be polite – but please don’t take it out on them, they’re the only ones who might be patient enough to listen to you!
56. Anyone can be calmed in an instant by looking at the ocean or the stars – both of which aren’t always in ready view, so you gotto find something for yourself mate!
57. Breaking new ground only takes a small amount more effort than you’re used to giving – I need to test this out
58. Life is a solo trip, but you’ll have lots of visitors. Some of them are long-term, most aren’t – I find it rather a depressing thought, but yes, we can’t keep carrying others and their memories along with us; both the good and bad ones.
59. One of the best things you can do for your kids is take them on road trips – sounds fun indeed!
60. The fewer possessions you have, the more they do for you – the more you have, the more you crave!
61. Einstein was more wiser than he was intelligent, and he was a genius – yes he was, but what can we learn from that?
62. When you’re sick of your own life, that’s a good time to pick up a book – I would be completing volumes by now!
63. Wishing things were different is a great way to torture yourself – and even bigger torture is learning how not to do it!
64. The ability to be happy is nothing other than the ability to come to terms with how things change – but should we be accepting all changes!?!?
65. Killing time is an atrocity. It’s priceless, and it never grows back – Would that include surfing on the net in the hope of finding an article like this?
This entire exercise gives good food for thought (and a little pain to the fingers as well! 🙂 )